Search:

Jivetel

PHOTOS & VIDEO: UPDATED 10:05 PM: About 15 were injured when a 15 passenger van collided with an SUV at the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and Oberlin Avenue.

The first emergency responders on scene at about 7:15 PM immediately declared it an MCI (Mass Casualty Incident), and requested mutual aid from every Emergency Service in Lakewood and neighboring Townships.

Withing minutes, dozens of emergency personnel arrived at the scene and began treating patients who were laying all over the grass field near the intersection.

Patients were transported to KMC, Jersey Shore and Brick Hospital. One was airlifted and at least one is in critical condition, police tell TLS.

Several other patients sustained serious injuries as well.

Agencies responding included EMS, Hatzolah, Lakewood First Aid, MONOC, Jackson First Aid, Brick First Aid and multiple others.

Lakewood’s Traffic and Safety Division is on scene investigating, along with the Prosecutor’s Office.

The intersection is not expected to be reopen until midnight, police say.

—————————

This story was first reported on our News Alerts.

There are 52 Comments to "VIDEO: About 15 People Injured In MVA on New Hampshire Avenue; At Least One Critically; MCI Declared"

What is mci

• sdc says:

what is MCI?
    What happened?

• berel says:

Anyone!!! Updates???

• MCI? says:

what is MCI?

• Jeff says:

I am a schoolbus driver in Lakewood and unfortunately I see so many drivers doing everything but driving. the use of cell phones behind the wheel of a vehicle is out of control. Stop rushing to get no where. I am sure I will see you at the next red light! Take a look at the recent accidents in the area and say this can’t happen to me. Wrong!

Prayers for all involved and speedy recoveries! What a nasty nasty accident

• :( says:

The van was carrying 12 Enterprise employees…

• bob says:

why did they declared it a MCI??? where they multiple dead bodies??

I happened to have buffed this call. It was really nice seeing everyone working together. No other town in the state of NJ could have gotten that seen cleared up that fast. Thank you hatzolah, lakewood first aid and PD great job

is the 15-passenger van associated to a company/organization?

Just because a MCI was declared it doesn’t mean there’s “dead Bodies” it can be declared for multiple injuries just like in this case….

• larry says:

I wasn’t on location but I was monitoring Hatzalah, monoc, and lkwd first aid band. Sounded very serious.

Thanx to all the agencies that responded. Thank you also to medic units 270 and 271.

Any more pics?

• anonymous says:

Why r there so many accidents on this corner? Maybe we should make speed bumps on new hampshie…

• J says:

Ramtown First Aid Squad, and Howell Township First Aid Squad also responded to the scene.

• Eli says:

Its so nice to see that our own hatzolah can work hand in hand with the other emergency service organizations to take care of a serious event in the best manner possible

• nascarfan88 says:

According to scanner transmissions, 4 trauma patients were transported to Jersey Shore University Medical Center (Trauma Center) Neptune; 1 via Med Evac Helicopter and 3 by ground transport.
    The rest of them were taken to local hospitals.

• Smoldering ashes says:

this is what it is and what is in the story: “MCI (Mass Casualty Incident)”. Reading is fundamental.

• Mike says:

MCI- mass care incident

• Hadar says:

MCI = Mass Casualty Incident

A mass casualty incident, often shortened to MCI and sometimes called a multiple-casualty incident or multiple-casualty situation, is any incident in which emergency medical services resources, such as personnel and equipment, are overwhelmed by the number and severity of casualties.

@6 Bob

ca·su·al·ty –

1. An accident, especially one involving serious injury or loss of life.

2. One injured or killed in an accident: a train wreck with many casualties.

• .............. says:

I have started tehillim for all those injured in this crash

• Lkwd resident says:

Thoughts and Prayers for everyone involved.. Horrible scene to pull on..I hope the First Responders are able to talk about it. This is their jobs but it effects everyone differently.
    Thoughts to the families of everyone involved..This looked horrible..and especially with all those ambulances from everyone around us..Thank you for helping in our time of need

• piner03 says:

Prayers for all those involved in this horrible accident and their families. I Hope for the best for everyone.

• worried says:

please drive more safely everyone driving a car is like owning a weapon. I feel for all those involved. Hope everyone is well.

• The Professor says:

these type of horrific accidents are now frighteningly becoming the new norm in this town. I hope this is the straw that stirs the pot and forces township officials to address much needed infrastructure change to accomadate the population explosion in Lakewood.

• Malaprop says:

I doubt this will be the straw that stirs the pot to make changes. The damage is done and we will need to live with this now. I guess we will have to build that bridge when we get to it. You can’t bake your cake and eat it yourself

• damnitwasntu says:

Deepest prayers sympathies to the families

• Cyclist says:

Many accidents in Lakewood, more than any other town in the area, people need to review the driving laws AND obey them, especially the speed limits and traffic signals.

What is Ramtown First Aid? How did they get called in?

• haim says:

we need to learn more to stop this from happening so often in Lakewood.

• hmmm says:

I think it is in poor taste to video at the scene of an accident

• Robbie Nachman says:

Prayers to the injured. Empathy and compassion to the families ” Props” to the multiple response units . And I suggest that you read # 24′s advise

• Just asking says:

What more changes can be done at that intersection, it was just reconstructed by the county?? I can look at the picture of the scene and have a pretty good idea of what occurred . Speed and a driver that wasn’t following the traffic signal. I know it was an accident but someone’s carelessness caused many injuries tonight. May they all have speedy recoveries .

• disturbed says:

Thanks also to brick pd ems. I work in brick hospital and a number of patients were brought in……prayers for all involved……and thanks again to all EMS, police and hospital staff involved…..I know its not easy to handle these situations…..may there be no more of them!

#25..Ramtown is part of Howell. Right on the border of Lakwood. It makes sense that they would help out too.

• Dovid says:

A mass casualty incident is any incident where the local towns/squads resources are overwhelemd. This is defined as capacity + 1. So if say a town squad can handle 3 patients and they have 4 technically it is a mass casualty. There are special “rules” that go into affect when there is an MCI.

To the school bus driver. No doubt there are too many distracted drivers on cell phones . But two weeks ago a school bus in Lakewood cut me off and then preceded to not use his/ her signal and make a right turn in front of me. ( also quite dangerous)

• Bob says:

Look at those Lakewood first aid volunteers. Great job!!!

• Mady says:

Ramtown is the section of Howell closest to Lakewood. If everyone in town would actually pay attention to their driving and not their cell phones it might help. Unfortunately, I see far too many residents blowing through stop signs at high speeds, ignoring lights and driving as if the town is one big race track. As the HUD inspector for LHA I drive in this town for a living for over 7 years now, and am always grateful when I cross the border into Howell each day after work, that I am alive. SLOW DOWN. I would like to be around to see my daughters get married & have children.

• A friend says:

I just love how everyone loves to blame the Lakewood drivers but just to set the record straight. The van carrying all those people came from the newark area. Same goes for all the accidents on route 70. They are usually not Lakewood residents.

• Jonah says:

Once at this corner with my child in the back seat the light had already turned green & I didn`t notice a Jeep with a bunch of college age boys traveling at high speed had decided not to stop at the red light. They swerved & did not hit me but we need a camera at this intersection. NO QUESTIONS ASKED & I DON`T CARE IF YOUR CHILD IS LATE TO SCHOOL!

• love lakewood says:

hey mady ,
    if you hate lakewood so much maybe stay in howell and get a different job!!
    im sure the hud office can find a replacement for you with someone from lakewood who does like this town and appreciates it. In fact that way my tax dollars will support a Lakewood family instead a howell family

• ? says:

Hey Mady says
    you are 100% correct ,some do not like to hear the truth ,the facts speak for themselves .Way to many traffic accidents in this town .This was a terrible accident and pray all recover from their injuries.

• Mady says:

I am apologizing if I offended the person who commented I should get another job out of Lakewood. I did not mean to offend. I am concerned for the safety for all Lakewood citizens as well as my own, including yours. Please know I only would like to see the streets of this town safer when driving. Again, I apologize if I have offended anyone.

• Living Nearby says:

When is the speed limit on New Hampshire going to be lowered so that more accidents can be prevented. It is currently at 50 which is a big mistake.

• yossi greenberg says:

townhall meeting is needed!!!!

stats on a similiar size town is needed!!!!!!!

• to 'love lakewood' says:

If you love Lakewood so much you should listen to Mady as she is totally correct! ALL Lakewood residence need to recognize that are traffic routes are extremely congested. Taking this into account and driving accordingly will greatly reduce the volume of accidents taking place in Lakewood! This is a responsibility we all must take upon ourselves! We must do our own hishtadlus.

• RebRambo says:

Let us clarify one thing here:

This wasn’t a ‘typical’ Lakewood accident – the driver who caused the accident was here illegally and had a suspended license; to begin with he shouldn’t have been here or, for that matter, on the road.

Don’t use this as a springboard for the everyday reckless driving.

Godspeed to the injured!

• ha says:

Mady, if you say offensive comments you will offend!

• dd says:

Number 47 is correct!! Accidents DO happen. It is unfourtonate and I send thoughts and prayers to the families, but dont start lowering the speed limit to 25 mph on New Hampshire.

• JGS says:

Just another day in Lakewood, NJ

• Q Unit says:

After a friend sent me this link all I can say is that this scene looks like it was handled very professional and responsibly, No wonder Lakewood Hatzolah is know for their superb MVA skill set!

L-13 How have you been?

• Me and Me says:

refuah shlema to all.
    may you have a speedy recovery
    רפואה ש