Search:

Jivetel

VIDEO & PHOTOS: An Osprey tangled and hanging upside down from a tree was rescued today, thanks to the actions of Lakewood Police andbird 2  Firefighters.

At about 10 AM today, police received a call about a large bird hanging upside down and flapping its wings about thirty feet above the edge of the lake on South Lake Drive.

Upon arrival, Police Office Joseph Sandstrom located the bird, which appeared to be tangled in fishing string, and unable to free itself. Officer Sandstrom called for a hook and ladder truck to reach the bird.

Sandstrom, who is also a Lakewood Firefighter, together with two other Lakewood Firefighters climbed up and managed to reach the tangled bird, which required bolt cutters to remove the string and hook caught in its talon.

Once down, the Officer attempted to let the bird fly, but it was unable to fly properly due to an apparent injury. The bird, residents tell TLS, was stuck in the tree for quite a few hours before it was brought to the attention of authorities.

Officer Sandstrom recaptured the bird, and fed it water in the back of his patrol car, before it was determined that it be brought to a specialist in Toms River.

[TLS]

There are 13 Comments to "VIDEO & PHOTOS: Lakewood Police Officer & Firefighters Rescue Osprey Tangled in Tree"

• Wildlife-ist says:

I see a plaque coming Joe’s direction! Great job Sir!

• mommy says:

such a nice video. Thanks for sharing

• Concerned citizen says:

Happy Ending!

• Jog A Thon - It's Special says:

I hope he has Obama Care

• BirdofPrey says:

I know officer Sandstrom as always being a dedicated and fair law enforcement official. The officer is an asset to Lakewood. It doesn’t surprise me of his knowledge on how he rescued this majestic winged predator. In fact that bird is lucky officer Sandstrom was the responding officer. And teamed with Chief Silverio who assisted the officer I couldn’t be more impressed by both these officers compassion an heroism. For what it’s worth I hope TLS shares this news worthy story with AP news. Great job Lakewood PD & FD.

• Public Health Specialist says:

I was out in a kayak on the lake at that time and I made the call to the police from my boat. I am so appreciative that the police acted on my call and sent the right men to the rescue. It was a beautiful act of mercy. Thank you so much.

• huh? says:

how did it get stuck? was it hooked on? with what?

• Melissa says:

Kudos to the Lakewood Police and Fire departments. They handle this situation with gentle care and kindness.

• Community Man says:

Awesome Job by all.

• jill brubaker says:

Poor thing – I am hoping it will be able to be rehabbed & released!

• cool masmid says:

This video says a lot about our police officers. The compassion and kindness shown here by these police officers are second to none.

• sam says:

beautiful video Thank You TLS for sharing
    nice to see hman kindness

• Lakewood Proud says:

What a wonderful story with a happy ending! The way Police Office Joseph Sandstrom handled that bird with such care and ease was wonderful to see. Very uplifting. Thank you LPD & LFD for helping save this beautiful creature & Thank you TLS for posting this story! Its nice to see some positivity being reported on :)

5 + = nine