Urgent RWJUH/Bikur Cholim of Lakewood Blood Drive going on now

RWJUH is reaching out to the Lakewood community to help refill the nearly-depleted blood supply.

“With less than a two day supply of most blood types on hand, the situation is precarious at best,” Sally Wells of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Blood Services told TLS.

“Since early January, the cold, wet weather and unprecedented flu epidemic has forced the cancellation of hundreds of blood drives, and kept thousands of people from donating blood, creating a shortage, especially of type O.”

Wells add, “Every day has been touch and go, and with a mid-week snow storm predicted, we are concerned that the local blood supply will fall to critically low levels. We are asking the citizens of Lakewood to help by donating blood this Thursday at the Monmouth Medical Center, Southern Campus between the hours of 10:30am and 4:00pm in the Schulman Conference Center. In just 1 hour, you can make a profound difference and save someone’s life.”

All donors should eat prior to donating, and bring along a photo ID. If you have questions about your medical eligibility, you can call the RWUBH Blood Services at 732-235-8100 ext. 248. Appointments are encouraged and available online here.

[TLS-007]

Got a news tip? Email us at newstips@thelakewoodscoop.com, text us 415-857-2667, or tweet us @LakewoodScoop.

There are 11 Comments to "Urgent RWJUH/Bikur Cholim of Lakewood Blood Drive going on now"

• Yosef Steinberg says:

I am type O+ but I work full time. Any way to give in the evenings?

• Miriam says:

Longer hrs would prob provide a better turnout, ppl would have time to go after work…

• Me too says:

I’d also love to donate but work full time. If it’s that critical can’t they provide additional hours?!

• Avrohom Wrona says:

I have had the privilege of discussing the halacah of the permissibility and under what circumstances one can make a chavalah to donate blood with the Rosh Yeshiva Horav Yerchum Olshin shlita as well as with the renowned posek Horav Hillel David shlita.(The Posek Hdor morainu Hgaon Reb Moshe Feinstein ztkl has a teshuva about it) All are recommended to discuss with their Morah Horah.

• steve says:

I also work full time I believe if they would have an evening drive they could attract many more people.

• Miss Informed says:

Make it Friday , so we can send all eligible aged Yeshiva Bochurim. That’ll top off their supply quickly and make a Kiddush Hashem

• Amil Zola says:

I’m shaking my head, I cannot believe that employers won’t give employees time off to participate in blood drives. Although I’m retired now, I’ve never had an employer say no to blood drive participation during working hours. Time to talk to the bosses people.

• O+ As Well says:

I’m also O+, but cannot get out until kids are in bed. There should be evening hours.

• miriam says:

How long does it take in and out?

• Donated says:

Miriam-it takes around 30 minutes
    I was there this morning, they have a lot of staff and are organized