List potholes around Lakewood; How to file a claim for damage to your vehicle

Complaints about potholes are once again beginning to pour in.

If you spot (or feel) a pothole in Lakewood, list it below so we can submit a list to the Township.

You can also report potholes to the DPW at 732-905-3405.

Should your vehicle body be damaged from the pothole, you should file a police report. You can then use the report to file a claim.

To file a claim:

You must first determine if the pothole incident occurred on a Township, County, State highway or on a toll road.

For incidents on County roads, you can call the purchasing department at 732-929-2101. For Lakewood, you can call 732.364.2500.

If your accident was on the Garden State Parkway or the New Jersey Turnpike, please visit or call 732-750-5300.

Accidents on the Atlantic City Expressway are handled by the South Jersey Transportation Authority. You may visit their website or call 609-965-6060.

If it occurred on a New Jersey State-owned highway, you may fill out the PROPERTY DAMAGE CLAIM-SHORT FORM.

The Registered Owner, and not the driver, of the damaged vehicle must complete, sign and date the Notice of Claim and mail it to the address on the form within 90 days from the date of the incident to preserve their legal rights. The preferred method is via certified mail return receipt requested. Please keep copies of the claim form and submittals for your records.

The claim form must, at a minimum, include:

(a) An estimate for repairs and/or a receipt showing proof of payment for any repairs made;
(b) Specific location where the incident occurred (nearest exit, mile post, cross street, relevant landmarks, etc.)
(c) A copy of an official police report, if one was filed at the time of the incident;
(d) A copy of the Declaration page of the auto policy for the registered owner of the vehicle. However, photos of the pothole are not necessary.
5. Please allow 3 to 6 months for your claim to be resolved. You should note that payment/reimbursement is not guaranteed.

New Jersey Department of Treasury
Division of Risk Management
P.O. Box 620
Trenton, New Jersey 08625
Attn: Tort & Contract Unit
(609) 292-4347
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


This content, and any other content on TLS, may not be republished or reproduced without prior permission from TLS. Copying or reproducing our content is both against the law and against Halacha. To inquire about using our content, including videos or photos, email us at

Stay up to date via our news alerts, by sending 'follow LakewoodScoop' to the number '40404' or via Twitter handle @LakewoodScoop. Also find us on Instagram and Facebook.

Also join the thousands receiving our Whatsapp Status updates!

Got a news tip? Email us at, text or whatsapp us 415-857-2667, or tweet us @LakewoodScoop.

There are 40 Comments to "List potholes around Lakewood; How to file a claim for damage to your vehicle"

Write a Comment

Please read comment rules before submitting your comment.

(required - will not be published)

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Answer the question below to prove you\'re human *